GAFE, Google Classroom Assignments and Movenote

Two great resources that work great together!

A lot of teachers are using Google Classroom to build classroom community, assign work, give feedback and manage files. If you aren’t using Google Classroom yet, learn more here.Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 9.16.08 AM Your district or organization must have Google Apps for Education (GAFE).

To the right is a great graphic of the assignment flow. Read all about it here.

One thing that can create an issue for the teacher is that when they assign an assignment, the teacher is not able to see the options the students see when they click on the assignment.  After working with multiple classrooms and seeing this issue recur, I put together a Slides presentation with text tips for teachers. Depending on the type of deliverable to be submitted by the student, the teacher can copy the text from a slide in the presentation and paste it right into the assignment, along with the assignment details. Here is a direct link to the Slides presentation so you can make a copy for yourself!

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 9.02.34 AMAnother great resource that works wonderfully with Google Apps for Education is Movenote. I used Movenote to narrate my Slides presentation. To get started, using the Chrome browser you simply add movenote to gmail.

Then you can initiate a Movenote screencast from within gmail or by clicking the Movenote extension icon on the toolbar of the browser. You can choose to include an inset video of yourself along with the narrated slides – or turn the video off. Movenote also includes annotation tools! To screencast with Movenote, you must have slides or images prepared in advance. Once the video is complete, you can send by gmail or click the gear icon to share other ways, including embedding, as I did below.